the best ingredients for acne prone skin
a quick guide on acne fighting skincare ingredients without a chemistry degree.
by shayna smith
We know there are TONS of acne skin care products out there to choose from. It can be overwhelming and frustrating trying to figure out which products will work best for your skin. We totally get it, so we put together a list of some of the most effective acne ingredients to help you find products that meet your skin needs. Meet the MVP ingredients for teen acne prone skin. These all-star ingredients are the heroes to help prevent and treat breakouts.
Salicylic acid is a beta-hydroxy-acid that is commonly used to treat acne. Salicylic acid is oil loving! It is derived from willow tree bark and can help to reduce excess sebum in the skin. Its anti-inflammatory and exfoliant properties are perfect for oily and acne prone skin types. In addition to helping regulate and balance out oil production, it can also help to unclog pores. It dives deep into the pores to pull out dirt, oil and bacteria, which is ideal in managing blackheads and breakouts.
Do’s and Don’ts when using SALICYLIC ACID for skin
- Use daily or every other day
- Reduce use to once a week if skin starts to dry
- Products containing salicylic acid can also be applied after pimple extraction to cleanse the area
Niacinamide is a hero ingredient because of its versatility. It can benefit almost any skin type and address multiple skin concerns. Niacinamide is non-sensitizing, which makes it an ideal ingredient for not only acneic skin, but sensitive skin. It works beautifully to help strengthen your skin barrier, and repair past damage such as post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and acne scarring. It also helps to keep pores clean, it helps to stop dirt, oil and debris from getting trapped in the pore, along with tightening and minimizing pore size when used consistently.
Do’s and Don’ts when using NIACINAMIDE for skin
- Niacinamide can be applied morning and evening
- Niacinamide works well with most other ingredients so feel free to layer with other products
Kaolin is a very absorbent naturally occurring clay mineral that is more gentle than other varieties of clay. This makes it ideal for reducing oiliness and shine in sensitive and acne prone skin. It is a great ingredient to reduce excess oil, deep clean pores and remove impurities. Kaolin is also known for reducing inflammation, which will help reduce irritation, redness and swelling that commonly accompany acne breakouts, as well as helping to prevent new breakouts.
Do’s and Don’ts when using KAOLIN CLAY for skin
- This ingredient is good especially for those with oily skin
- Kaolin clay is commonly found in mask treatments so keep an eye it for in mask form
- Fun Fact: kaolin clay in its pure form can used for many other things such as dry shampoo, natural deodorant, and much more
Sulfur works to dry out the skin, making it the perfect ingredient to combat breakouts in extremely oily skin types. This is important to remember when choosing to use products containing sulfur, as we do not want to over dry the skin. Typically acne is caused by the excess production of oil in the sebaceous glands and sulfur’s ability to cut down on sebum can help those with acne-prone skin combat breakouts. Sulfur also has antibacterial properties that can help to fight bacteria that can cause infections within the skin.
Do’s and Don’ts when using SULFUR for skin
- Don’t overuse products containing sulfur because it will dry out the skin
- Try our Blackhead Clearing Fizz Mask containing sulfur to clear pores and blackheads
- Be prepared for the distinct smell of sulfur. It may not be pleasant, but it is tolerable
On the topic
Breakout Clearing Minis$21.00
Try a breakout-fighting Clear Start regimen for just $15 (a $21 value)! Breakout Clearing Foam...
Our #1 multi-tasker for super glowy skin. This fast-acting chemical exfoliant brightens, smo...